Almost every time I turn-on my computer lately, I see quite a few videos about the 5.7x28mm cartridge, I even published an article about the KelTec P50, which fires this particular round.
The 5.7x28mm is a small bottleneck cartridge known for its relatively high muzzle velocity. People who have shot a 5.7x28mm pistol typically comment on its mild recoil, allowing very fast follow-up shots, and its flat trajectory aiding hits past 50 yards.
While the 5.7x28mm cartridge may be new to some, it has actually been around for quite a while. It is significantly older than such popular cartridges as the 300 AAC Blackout, 6.5mm Grendel and 6.5mm Creedmoor for instance.
The design was patented back in 1989 by FNH. It was originally developed as part of a military Personal Defense Weapon (PDW) project undertaken by FNH for NATO. In a nutshell, the 5.7x28mm was originally designed to replace the 9mm cartridge in NATO service.
So, just to be clear, I’m not telling anyone to get rid of their 9mm pistols and buy one that fires the 5.7 cartridge, if you love your 9mm, then by all means keep it. But I still think that the Ruger-57 bears looking into. One advantage the Ruger-57 has, is a 20 round magazine, say what you will, but that’s quite a bit of firepower.
Beneath the video I’ll place the specs and all other information about the Ruger-57 so that you can look it over for yourself, in the meantime watch the video.
- MODEL NUMBER: 16401
- CALIBER: 5.7X28MM
- Grip Frame: High-Performance, Glass-Filled Nylon
- Barrel Length: 4.94″
- Overall Length: 8.65″
- Barrel Material: Alloy Steel
- Barrel Finish: Black Nitride
- Front Sight: Fiber Optic
- Rear Sight: Adjustable
- Slide Material: Alloy Steel
- Slide Finish: Black Oxide
- Weight: 24.5 oz.
- Slide Width1.20″
- Twist1:9″ RH
- Available in CANo
- Available in MANo
- Suggested Retail$869.00
- Impressive ergonomics include an easy trigger reach, 1911-style ambidextrous manual safety, robust slide release and reversible magazine release latch.
- Through hardened, billet steel slide with lightening cuts is drilled and tapped for easy mounting of optics with separately available optic adapter plate, available at ShopRuger.com.
- Windage and elevation adjustable, serrated rear sight and rapid acquisition fiber optic front sight for fast, accurate shooting.
- The alloy steel barrel features a black nitride treatment for wear resistance.
- Steel magazine provides double stack capacity without unnecessary bulk.
- Textured, ergonomic frame provides a secure and comfortable grip.
- Utilizes Ruger’s safe, reliable and proven Secure Action™ fire-control system that combines a protected internal hammer with a bladed-safety trigger. The trigger has a short, smooth pull, clean break and positive reset.
- Safe, easy takedown with no tools or trigger pull required.
- Inspection port allows for visual confirmation of a loaded or empty chamber.
- Picatinny-style accessory rail for easy mounting of lights and lasers.
- Safety features include: 1911-style ambidextrous manual safety; an integrated trigger safety; light-weight firing pin; neutrally balanced sear with significant engagement and strong spring tension; and hammer catch to help prevent the hammer from contacting the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.
- Magazine drops free on release for convenient reloading.
- Also includes: two steel magazines.